Canada has not “shut down” Tesla in the country; a federal government spokesperson and a spokesperson for Canada’s automotive parts manufacturers’ trade association told Reuters, contrary to online claims.
Blogs, opens new tab published, opens new tab in mid-March claimed Canadian authorities had announced they would “blockade” the U.S. electric vehicle (EV) maker from operating in the country.
“The Canadian government has justified its decision as a necessary measure to protect the domestic automotive industry and promote domestic technological innovation,” the blogs stated. Canada on March 25 froze all rebate payments for Tesla and banned it from future EV rebate programmes, amid escalating trade tensions between Canada and the United States. But there is no evidence of a total “shutdown” of the car manufacturer.
The blogs also said Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk responded to the announcement with, “What’s really happening will remain hidden from the public.”
Thousands of Facebook users have since shared posts linking to the blogs, with one March 23 post, opens new tab, reading: “5 MINUTES AGO: Canada makes a bold decision to shut down Tesla and the U.S. auto industry – Elon Musk responds with a shocking 8-word message, revealing a hidden truth that leaves the world stunned.”
Canada imports Tesla vehicles and does not have an in-country production facility.
A spokesperson for Innovation, Science, and Economic Development Canada told Reuters via email: “The information conveyed in social media and other online outlets alleging that the Government of Canada has moved to ‘shut down Tesla and the U.S. auto industry’ is incorrect.”
The spokesperson said that Canada’s Parliament on March 23 was dissolved, opens new tab, so the department could not comment on any potential future policy initiatives.
Neither the federal government nor Tesla have published public statements announcing the decision. There are also no credible reports on Musk responding with the so-called quote in the blogs.
Tesla Americas’ press office did not respond to Reuters’ request for comment.
Flavio Volpe, president of Canada’s national Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association, told Reuters via email that the claim has “no basis in fact”, adding that the premise was “silly”.
Reuters previously addressed claims that Canada’s federal government was imposing 100% tariffs on Tesla vehicles in retaliation to U.S. tariffs, as well as false claims that Germany had ceased Tesla operations.
VERDICT
False. Canada has not “shut down” Tesla’s operations in Canada, a federal government spokesperson and a spokesperson for Canada’s automotive parts manufacturers’ trade association told Reuters. There is no official announcement of the decision from the federal government or Tesla.